Saturday, December 22, 2007

Our Last Words

Picked up the paperback publishing the winners of the 2006 Writers of the Future on Thursday. Today I read my first story from the book.

Damon Kaswell's Our Last Words is an intriguing speculative fiction piece that I still don't know whether was supposed to border on dark fantasy. What's damned wierd about this is that the author of this, the first story I read from this anthology was one that we saw on one of the panels at Orycon this year.

I can say with 100% certainty that I did not recognize his name before reading it. I think it was the title of the piece that drew me in. Perhaps it was the proximity to Kevin J. Anderson's piece about time to write that was positioned immediately ahead in the anthology.

In either case. I would recommend this piece. I generally quite liked it. It was an involving treatment of the nuclear holocaust tale that didn't fall into many of the cliche traps.

No comments: